Saturday, July 4, 2009

Emails to family & friends

Ok, so I have been really busy, lacking internet, and I am also lazy because Japanese computers are slow and hard to type on...so I will post these emails I sent for all to read! haha

I promise I will write more later though...but at least this is a start!

BUT FIRST SOME UPDATES!

  1. The flight from Japan was great. I met these two guys from Seattle who go to Stanford, and for a minute I was jealous and wished I went to Stanford, but then realized I probably wouldn't be on this very trip, and certainly would not have met all of my wonderful friends if I had not gone to Davis. The guys were so funny though. They spoke zero Japanese and never had been to Japan. They were limited to a small guidebook and phrasebook, and their pronounciation was hilarious. After sitting quietly and giggling silently to myself for about 40 minutes I decided to help them. I sat next to a really nice Japanese guy, and he was so helpful after I got off the plane helping me find where to exchange money and find the next train. So many seats on the plane were empty, so I didn't feel so cramped. I had an empty seat next to me. I can tell the airline companies are hurting.
  2. I got into Japan, and it felt wonderful, but I had this feeling that something was different. Then I realized Japan had lost its nostalgia for me. It wasn't new or foreign at all, but instead it felt as though I was coming back home after being gone a long time. It felt really good.
  3. I am doing surprisng well with public transportation!!!! Can you believe it!?! I had a few minor flops, but it was because I asked someone if I was on the right train to confirm things, and they told me I wasn't when I was...but other than that I have been good. It is very reassuring, and it makes me feel very confident.

Weather:

It has been fairly humid, but the usual for Japan, and not overly hot. It started raining a bit in Tokyo, but nothing really heavy. The weather is fairly good.

Food: (thus far)

  1. Monjayaki & Okonomiyaki in Tsukijiya
  2. Izakaya in Ginza
  3. Yuuki's delicious cooking (vegetables, curry, stir fry, eggs, and various things)
  4. Convient store food: delicious and wonderful...and cheap!
  • A lot of yogurt
  • some banana pan
  • pizza-mon
  • sushi
  • pre made ice cream cone
  • mochi....
  1. Takoyaki
  2. Delicious raspberry mousse cake
  3. An amazing vegetable buffet
  4. A Delicious chicken salad
  5. Amazing sweets and treats in Kyoto
  6. Delicious crepes in Yokohama
  7. Gyoza-dog in China town with coconut milk
  8. Ramen near Waseda

So far:

-Tokyo (Shinjuku, Ueno, Asakusa, Meijiro, near Waseda, Hossei, Ginza, Akihabara...)

-Kaiwagoe

-Kyoto

-Yokohama (China town)

NEXT:

-Okayama (tomorrow)

-Yokohama

-Osaka/Mt. Fuji?

-Sapporo

-Yokohama

-Various parts of Tokyo

No comments:

Post a Comment